Monday, October 7, 2013

Bless the Lord, O My Soul!

My heart gets troubled by many things.
The child who gets left out.
The child with constant headaches.
A messy house.
Not enough time in one day.
A never ending pile of laundry.
Worry for the college kids.
Sorrow over others grief,
Am I helping others enough?
Do my loved ones know I care?
Am I too busy with busy stuff and not spending enough time with 'needful' things?

I am learning to give up my little worries with the simple act of praising God.
Oh, and it is helping me let go of worrying.

I was fuming the other week at church, (of all places) when one of my children and a friend were obviously bypassed by the other kids of the same age.
They had the nerve to walk right past and sit at a different table even though there was plenty of room at that table!
Every single one. Probably about 10 others!
As I was saying, I was SO mad!
What little brats!
I could feel myself heating up.
OK, so I thought, I'm in church, singing these beautiful songs and yet, here I am, fuming at these kids.
Give it to God, I'm saying to myself. Or was it God saying it to me?
Find praise for Him!
Oh, Dear Lord, I praise your Holy Name. You are So Good. How great Thou art!
Immediately, my heart calmed down.
This child that I worried about fitting in is precious to God.
Everything doesn't have to be picture perfect in a worldly sense.
"I love this child. This child is so special to me" is what I heard when I decided to give God praise during that somewhat stressful time for this mother!
I felt a little sheepish then, of course, when I thought of how I automatically labeled those kids as brats. I mean, after all, they are precious to God, too! And some other mother's special child.
Though my heart just ached for this child of mine-a quieter child and not very outgoing, though friendly. Of course, I want my children to be accepted by their peers and they probably are, but that night it just didn't look right to me.
As I was giving praise to God, I realized that I was making a way bigger deal out of the situation than was needed.
Another friend came over and it ended being the three of them while the other10 squished around another table.
Praise the Lord! He gives everyone a friend!
God is Good!

Thank you, God, for these dishes I get to wash and the food you provide.
Thank you for this laundry and all our beautiful warm clothes.
Thank you for providing health providers for this child with headaches.
Thank you for a husband who fixes the washing machine and provides so adequately for our family.
Thank you for a home that I can lovingly clean and share with my family and others.
Thank you for providing us with a wonderful church family and people who love us.
Thank you for taking care of all our needs.
Thank you for loving me when I am unlovely.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;"  Psalm 103:1-4

Amazing Grace, is all I can say!







No comments: