Saturday, August 7, 2010

Homemade Hummus

We love homemade hummus at our house!

~With fresh veggies,

~tortilla chips,

~on a salad,

~with warm pita bread

~or on a sandwich!

My sis-in-law gave me this recipe years ago:


2 cups garbanzo beans (chick-peas). I use dried beans, soaked overnight, drained and then cooked until soft with fresh water, but you can use canned, too.

~Joni suggests adding kombu seaweed to the cooking water for a ton of extra nutrients!

~save a little bit of water for blending, if needed, for smoothness, etc.

1 teaspoon sea salt

Juice of 1 fresh lemon

2/3 cup tahini (sesame seed butter). I buy sesame seeds and use them whole with a little water instead of the tahini. My blender blends them up real good. Tahini is easiest but it can be quite exspensive. And anyway, tahini is nothing but sesame seed ground up into a butter!

1 teaspoon sliced green onions.

~You could add any vegetable you want, roasted red peppers etc.

1-5 garlic cloves.

1 Tablespoon-1/2 cup fresh olive oil

Water, as needed.

Put all ingredients in blender and blend, adding a little oil at a time.

~Add water as needed.


This is an easy recipe for a child to make!
You will never want to buy store-bought again!
I hope you LOVE it!

4 comments:

Heather Storm said...

This sounds absolutely lovely! I'm going to make it today! I also got a similar recipe but instead of using chic peas you can use raw soaked cashews to get another flavor and add the same things as you would for the hummus! EXCELLENT with just a slightly different taste! A girl from my school gave me the recipe! I eat mine on top of romaine lettuce leaves ;-)
Thinking of you, Joni, Mariah and your girls. . . remembering our special time in L'Anse! COME VISIT GA sometime within the next year!!! I'll be doing my internship at Kirby's in March! WoooHoo!
love,
Cousin Heather

Anonymous said...

sounds good but kombu seaweed?? Where would you even buy such a thing?

Unknown said...

you can sometimes get dried seaweed in a package near the Asian section at the grocery store or a health food store. If you are feeling like an adventurous cook, then give it a try!

MindiJo said...

Thank you for the recipe. I will make it, as yours was delicious. Thank you for the fun time we had at your house. You are so much fun to get to know. Not to mention the delicious snacks!