Friday, February 5, 2016

Sweet and Spicy

That's it!
My pants were starting to feel tight-straining at the buttons!
Too many sweets over the holiday season!
And in a large family-immediate, extended and church family-
there are a LOT of occasions to have sweets!
I was putting my foot down!
Or to be more precise, my dessert fork!
I refuse to use age, hormones or any other excuse as a reason to buy bigger clothes!
I need to take charge of the situation!

Time to pull out the SECRET WEAPONS!
First of all, in my last post I mentioned that I am seeing a functional medicine doctor who ordered blood tests, etc.~That has been wonderful for leveling out crazy hormones, pointing out food sensitivities, allergens, etc.
It doesn't, however, magically get my pants from being too tight so out come the 
SECRET WEAPONS!

SECRET WEAPON #1: 
 Morning protein shake that keeps me full for hours! I am NEVER hungry until lunch!
My favorite recipe:
*1 cup coffee (opt.)
*1 cup coconut milk
* 1/2 cup water (or more if not using coffee)
* 1-2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
*1 serving protein powder-I use  vanilla Vega Protein and Greens (Costco sells it!)
* 1 teaspoon of xylitol (opt.) 
* 1 heaping teaspoon of 100% pure cocoa (opt.)
*ice (opt.)
I put it all in a shaker cup and shake it up good!
I LOVE IT and look forward to it every day!
I will also drink it without the coffee and cocoa for an evening snack if I feel like a need something.
It really is a treat!
No need for sugary, fatty desserts!

SECRET WEAPON #2: (Super easy!-Gotta try it!)
Sweet and Spicy tea from Good Earth!  http://www.goodearth.com/
It comes in decaffeinated herbal or herbal with black tea.
It's a wonderful substitution for dessert as there is cinnamon, orange, peppermint, ginger, lemongrass, chamomile in the ingredient list.
I take it with me wherever I go and drink some in the evening if I do not want to have a sugary dessert!
It completely takes any cravings away!
Love it!
The ladies at the church coffee table have been trying it and loving it!
I always have an extra teabag for you if you ever want to give it a try!
I gave some to my dear friend, Sarah,  for her birthday and she said
it SAVED her life!
Ha Ha! I chuckled at that!
Never underestimate the power of a teabag, I guess!
Celestial Seasonings also has a very similar tea that I love: Cinnamon Apple Spice

SECRET WEAPON #3:
Drink a lot of water! 

SECRET WEAPON #4:
Refuse to eat fake food!

SECRET WEAPON #5:
Move a little extra every day! You know, as in EXERCISE!
Even if it's 5 minutes! 

These are the secret weapons that I am currently using and sure enough my clothes are starting to fit better!
And doesn't that make life more fun!
Sometimes we just have to pull out a few weapons and charge forward!
Try one or try all and see if any of them work for you!

So there you have it!
And I know a few of you were wondering if this was going to be a 'spicy' Valentine's post!
But, no!
Maybe another day!





No comments: