Monday, February 29, 2016

Today's Workout

Do you need a workout idea?
Today I worked on my shoulders with 4 different exercises using my 15# dumbbells.
I warmed up with front, back and side kicks and jumping jacks.
I did 3 sets of 12 repetitions with 10 jumping jacks between reps and then 25 jumping jacks between the different exercises.
-Overhead shoulder press-12 reps, then 10 jumping jacks; repeat 2 more times, then 25 jumping jacks
-Side raises (arms hanging at sides with palm facing in, raise to shoulder height and lower to sides)-12 reps, then 10 jumping jacks; repeat 2 more times, then 25 jumping jacks
-Front lateral raise (dumbbells in each hand in front of thighs palms facing in, raise arms alternately up to shoulders in front of you)-12 reps, then 10 jumping jacks; repeat 2 more times, then 25 jumping jacks
-Overhead shoulder raise (arms shoulder height out to sides palms facing up, raise arms simultaneously up overhead)-12 reps, then 10 jumping jacks; repeat 2 more times, then 25 jumping jacks.
I struggled with some of these exercises with my 15# weights so do what you can starting with a weight that is comfortable for you-0, 5 or 10# and and repeat this workout on the same day next week if you want to get stronger shoulders. My plan is to do a different body part or combination of body parts each week day, Monday through Friday.
Please work at a pace that is comfortable for you!
If you have never worked out with weights, try this workout without any weight and work up to adding dumbbells! 
It is very important to not do too much too soon but I don't think it's a good idea to not do anything.
Start light and build up your strength.
We need it to run this race that is set before us-I believe we need patience, too, but a strong, healthy body may make it easier!

I then was able to add a 45 minute session of cardio:
5 minutes on the rebounder (mini-trampoline)
5 minutes running my basement stairs
5 minutes jumping rope
REPEAT whole sequence 3 times!

Cool down and stretch out your body!

I know, I had a lot of time to work out today!
It's not always that way. but you can break the cardio down to 15 or 30 minutes if you wanted to give it a try or do strength training one day and cardio the next.
If you don't have a rebounder, just use the jump rope and stairs or pick something else that you can do for 5 minutes-maybe kick boxing moves, crazy dance moves, high knees or stepping or running in place.

Put on some music and work up a sweat!
Take a well deserved hot shower and enjoy the day with more energy!

Drink lots of water and enjoy a healthy day of eating-scrambled eggs or egg whites, carmelized onions, leftover peas all fried up in skillet with a little coconut oil for breakfast, grilled chicken breast with sauteed veggies, a dash or two or three, of hot sauce and maybe a little or BIG side salad for lunch! And a yummy dinner!

Have a healthy, happy day!

"..Let us run with patience the race that is set before us," Hebrews 12:1

"I can do all things through Christ which srengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." 3 John 1:2

No comments: