Friday, September 25, 2009

"Ode To Leaves" by Elizabeth Storm Ramberg


Drifting to the earth they bring
Their silent song of bittersweet remembering.
Upon the grove and garden wall
Not a murmer, not a call.

They leave tall oaks and maples bare.
These innocents in red and gold
Who richly dressed the meadows bold.
And fairer stood on green and glen
Now fall to never rise again.

Triumphant is the hand of death
Who marks them his with one cold breath.
Ah! Autumn leaves once lovely lie
On some soft flower bed to die.

~My Mother wrote this poem several years ago. She wrote it out for me and I had it tucked in my Bible. Now that it is Fall, it seems the perfect time to share it!

~The kids are going to gather leaves today and then they will trace them with paint on the windows. Use a cut up sponge and clip a snap-style clothespin to it to dab the paint around the leaf. If you put a drop of dish soap with the paint, it will be easy to wipe off when Fall is over.
~One year I gathered a bunch of fall branches, tied a beautiful green satin ribbon to it and hung it on my front door. I plan on doing that this year, too. Also, a bunch of fall stems look beautiful in a vase inside the house. Really, all we need to decorate our homes is what God has already designed!

~Enjoy your Fall! It is my favorite time of year! Lenny and I were married in the Fall 20 years ago! I know, I can't believe it myself!

P.S. I had my very first sale on my etsy site the other day! I am so excited! It gives me more enthusiasm to keep up with my sewing and design! I am also excited to start selling vintage clothing and accessories. I have a little collection of things already just waiting for me to take photos of! I will also be sewing and posting women's accessories, etc. I am having so much fun!

1 comment:

Storm. Heather said...

oh my goodness I loved reading this blog too Laura! I could spend hours just soaking it all in! I love the poem your mom wrote . . . just thinking of her makes me miss her and your dad so much! They truly do hold a special place in my heart! I'm actually teary eyed as i write this becuase it's been too long since i have spent time with them! I cherish all the visits we shared ;D
love you and may God bless you and your precious family this day and always!
p.s. psalm 139 is so wonderful . . . I think every girl should read it as a reminder of how much God loves us!
~your cousin Heather