Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Have A Headache! Can You Come and Rub My Feet?


Lenny: I have a horrible headache! I don't know, I think it's a stress headache! I have to lay down for awhile. Do you think you could rub my big toe for a little while?


Laura: Of course, Honey! Just lay down on the couch and take your socks off. I have nothing going on anyway.


Lenny: Really? Oh, great!


Laura gently puts pressure on Lenny's big toe.


Lenny: Ow, ow, that hurts! Not so much pressure.


Laura lessens the pressure.


Lenny: Ow! It still hurts too much!


Laura: Sheesh, I barely touched it! Is this better? (Very, very light pressure.)


Lenny: Yeah, that's better. (Laura is barely touching the toe at this point.)


Laura continues to very, very gently touch Lenny's big toe and says: How does it feel now, Honey?


Lenny: My headache is starting to go away! Wow, I can't believe it. But just rub my toe a little longer, could you please? (He is very gracious about asking. He should know by now that I run when he calls, but I guess he feels he should say please every once in awhile.)


Laura: Sure, Honey, I have nothing going.


Lenny: Oh, thanks! (He closes his eyes and is probably thinking he married the right woman!)


Within 10 minutes Lenny's headache is gone and we all live happily ever after!


This is a true story, mostly! I do not run when he calls and I always have something going on. The rest is true.


Reflexology is a reflex technique, based on the neuro-biochemical action that is produced by stimulating a specific area of the foot that corresponds with a certain part of the body and that has a general or partial repercussion in the body.


In other words, an invisible map of the body is outlined on the foot and the reflexologist puts a specific amount of pressure on the foot to send a message from the nerve ending to the brain.

(There are over 7000 nerve endings in each foot.) That message in turn tells that specific body part to start working on whatever imbalance there may be.


The reflexologist does not do the healing, but encourages the body to heal itself! It is amazing! It is very relaxing and encourages the body to release stress and relax, which in turn creates a more healthy environment for healing!


The AMA says that 85% of illness is caused by stress! If we can reduce our stress, we will be healthier! Reflexology is just one way to help your body do just that!


I am a certified Reflexologist and if you have any questions, I will be happy to assist you in answering them! It is wonderful to find non-evasive, non-threatening and relaxing ways to heal our bodies!


Things you can do at home to assist your body in healing itself:


1. Find a golf ball and put it on the floor below your foot. Push down on the golf ball with whatever amount of pressure you need and roll the golf ball around to get to all the parts of the foot. You may find some very tender areas. You can work specifically on those areas a little more and then lightly on the rest of the foot. (If you have no golf balls around just let me know, I could send you one or two or 50,000!)


2. If someone in your family has a headache, put medium pressure with your thumb on the big toes, working one at a time. Work the entire toe and in the crease and underneath on the ball of the foot. This is also good for learning disabities and ADD, etc.


3. There are nerve endings in the hands, also, so you can press the soft spot between the thumb and the index finger to also relieve a headache.


4. To encourage a stubborn baby that does not want to come into this world on time, you can rub the area around the ankles of the expectant Mommy with firm pressure. We tried this on Crystal and her little darling was just WAY TOO STUBBORN! She decided she just wanted to be 18 days overdue! I do believe it helped Mommy to relax a little bit, though! It was successful for one of my pregnancies where the doctor wanted to induce me in the morning. I rubbed my ankles quite a bit the day before and I went into labor on my own! *Do not try this in your first trimester, though, as it really does encourage premature labor in some women!*


5. When a loved one is feeling sick, they love to feel pampered and reflexology can ease their aches and pains and feel loved at the same time. Just put pressure with the thumb on all areas of the foot. Using peppermint essential oil with lotion or a carrier oil does wonders, too. The peppermint is a natural pain and fever reducer.
I hope you can try a few of these ideas! It is always fun to come across new ways to incorporate different ways to bring a little peace into our lives!
Thanks for visiting!
Blessings to all of you!

No comments: