Saturday, November 28, 2009

Christmas Excitement and a Few Breakfast Recipes

Yesterday was the beginning of the Christmas season for me and my family! I went shopping with my girls and their friends (we split up, of course!). It was very enjoyable. I made it to Target for one coveted thing and then to the mall where I got a few things for Christmas plus new winter jackets for the little boys from JC Penny's for $17.99 a piece. Early Bird special! What a deal!

Stopped at REI and believe it or not, I am DONE with my Christmas shopping! I am trying to keep it simple, remember, and I think it is more in my attitude than anything! I want to feel relaxed and enjoy everything about Christmas so I didn't stress about anything! (I am getting older and a tiny bit wiser! I refuse to get stressed!)

That said, I know I still had to be somewhat organized as far as my lists go and all. (Heaven knows it is NOT my house that is organized!). So I made my list some time ago, made a few adjustments along the way and a few pit stops here and there along with my regular errands!

Lenny found some giant evergreen trees that were being hauled away for a land clearing and he cut the top off of one and him and Jacob hauled it back to our house. We have our Christmas tree! God provides!

Last night, we took all the kids plus a few extra to the local Fantasy of Lights parade. It is my favorite parade of the year. All the floats are in lights: dogs, children, silly characters, nativity scenes, horse and buggy and even Santa at the end! The bands (4 of them!) and the children's choir play and sing traditional Christmas carols. I always bring hot chocolate and doughnuts! We end up with a small gathering of friends that make it to the parade each year, too!


These pics are from http://www.livingstondaily.com/.

It brought joy to my heart! Christmas is coming! The precious time of year to focus on the birth of Jesus and all the blessings that come with it!

A time of GIVING and RECEIVING! GIVE the joy, RECEIVE the joy! It is very important to RECEIVE as well as GIVE!

Tomorrow is the first Sunday in Advent, the time that commemorates the special period leading up to the celebration of Jesus' birth. I think I will make a special recipe that was given to me years ago as a Chrismas morning breakfast recipe. I just adjusted it for a 'cleaner' version.
I had planned on this post being about quick healthy breakfasts, but I am so excited for the Christmas season that I HAD to mention the parade and all! So now, I will add a few extra recipes with the quick ones!

Since I am not the greatest with a camera yet (I am still working on it!), I do not have pictures. I guess I do it all backwards! Aren't I supposed to have the pics first and then the recipes? Oh well! It is a work in progress!

By the way, the Cranberries and Apple recipe was SO GOOD that the day after Thanksgiving I had to buy more cranberries so I could make it again! (Check the recipe bar on the side of this blog for the recipe.) I bought more sweet potatoes, too, because the sweet potato recipe I got from eatingwell.com was awesome, also, and I plan on making that recipe time and time again, too.
www.eatingwell.com/recipes/maple_roasted_sweet-potatoes.html

Quick healthy breakfasts:
1. Handful of almonds (no more than 14, which is a serving-I take 7) and a piece of fruit
2. Piece of leftover chicken, turkey or fish straight from the fridge on top of whole-grain toast with a smear of plain yogurt on top and a bed of spinach. Okay, if you want the truth, several times I just grabbed the meat and put it on a handful of spinach and just ate it like a cavewoman! A few almonds would be a perfect addition!
3. Plain yogurt with a swirl of honey and a topping of granola OR nuts and raisins OR cut up fruit OR seeds and cinnamon. Whatever you have.
4. Oatmeal: boil water, put dry oatmeal in a bowl or cup, add water, cover with a saucer and let sit for a few minutes. Stir in natural nut butter, fruit, cinnamon, etc.
5. Homemade trail mix: Raw almonds and other nuts, raw seeds, raisins and other dried fruit with no added sugar or sulfites, dark chocolate chips (at least 60% cacoa, which is really GOOD for you!)
6. Whole-grain toast with natural nut butter
7. Protein shake (all natural) mixed with water, cow's milk, or rice or nut milk.
8. Smoothies: fruit, nuts, seed, oatmeal, peanut butter, honey or other natural sweetener, fruit, yogurt, milk

9. 1-2 hardboiled eggs.



Holiday Morning French Toast

1/2-3/4 c. honey
4 T butter, melted
3 t. cinnamon, divided
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored & thinly slice
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1 loaf of day-0ld whole-grain bread or 2 whole-grain baguettes, cut into 1" slices
6 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
2 t. vanilla

1. Combine honey, butter & 1 t cinnamon in 9 x 13" pan. Add apples and cranberries; coat well. Spread apple mixture evenly over bottom of pan. Arrange slices of bread on top.
2. Mix eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining 2 t cinnamon until well blended. Pour mixture over bread, soaking completely. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
3. Bake, covered with aluminum foil at 375* for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 min. Remove from oven; let stand 5 min. Serve warm.

This is a beautiful-looking and wonderful smelling dish! I have made it for Christmas morning, but get it all ready the day before!

Another favorite at our house is Baked Oatmeal. We like to call it purrua bake!

1/2 c. oil
3/4 c. natural sweetener: honey, sucanat, evaporated cane juice crystals
4 eggs
6 c. oats 4 t baking powder
1 c. ground flaxseed
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 to 1 c water (to moisten the flaxseed. You do not need to add water if you do not use the flaxseed.)
2 c. milk

Opt: you can add apple, berries, nuts and raisins etc.

Combine all ingredients in order listed. Pour into greased 9x13" pan. Bake at 375* for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned. Can refrigerate overnight before baking.

Top with banana and milk! Everyone loves this! The kids and even all of their friends! I usually make it plain without the optionals.

Remember the number one rule for the Christmas Season! ENJOY IT! and ABSOLUTELY NO STRESSING! Keep it simple, especially in your mind. Pray for peace and joy to fill your heart and that God give you a loving spirit and you WILL have a MAGICAL CHRISTMAS!

No comments: