Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Natural Cleaning Closet

Cleaning house does not have to be toxic! I have have been using natural products for many years and most of these items are found in the pantry! Here is an easy list of what you need to clean your house naturally:

1. White vinegar: water and vinegar, anywhere from 1 tablespoon vinegar to a cup of water to half vinegar, half water is perfect for washing windows, disinfecting the bathroom, neutralizing little child pee on mattresses, floors etc and as a general cleaner for floors and just about everything! You can add essestial oil to take away some of the vinegar smell or sometimes I add lemon juice to the bottle, though it probably should be refrigerated then. You can also use 1/2-1 cup vinegar to the laundry rinse cycle as a fabric softener. vinegar is also good for cleaning out the toilet bowl, let it soak for 5 minutes, then brush and flush. A sprinkle of baking soda used with the vinegar can help remove a stubborn ring.

2. Olive oil: a few drops of olive oil to 1/2 cup of white vinegar is a great wood cleaner for furniture or floors. You can also use cider vinegar for dark wood. You can add a few drops of lemon juice, also, which then should be refrigerated.

3. Baking soda: Mix a little baking soda in a cup of warm water as a general cleaner to wipe toys and baby furniture, carseat, stroller, etc. I always put baking soda in my kitchen trash can to absorb odors. I also sprinkle the carpets now and then with baking soda, let sit for a few hours and then vacuum. I scrub my counters by sprinkling baking soda on them and then adding a little water. I let it sit for awhile and then scrub down. You could also use vinegar with the soda. This solution also works for clogged drains. Follow with a flush of boiling water.

4. Lemon juice: I squeeze fresh lemon on my countertops to disinfect. I just let them sit for a few minutes then I wipe off. Lemon is a natural disinfectant. You can use it on cutting boards, counters and even with water to disinfect toys etc. Slices of lemon peel can be put in the kitchen garbage disposal to disinfect and add a nice fresh scent to the sink.

5. Salt: Plain old salt can be used as an abrasive cleanser for tubs. Other good abrasive natural cleansers are baking soda or borax. Just dampen a sponge, add natural cleanser and scrub and rinse.

6. Borax: Borax is a natural mineral that is safe for the environment but still needs to be out of reach of children. Half borax and half baking soda is what I have been using for 7 years now as my *laundry detergent AND my dishwasher detergent. I use 1/4 cup or so for a load of laundry and 2 tablespoons for the dishwasher-1 tablespoon in each compartment. This has always worked for me unless Lenny forgets to put in more water softener, then I get the film on the dishes, but I would get the film even with storebought detergent so I really don't think that it's an issue of what detergent I am using. I really should look into buying borax in bulk. I usually buy it in a 4# box from Wal-Mart. I get my baking soda from Costco. I think it is a 12# bag.
Borax is a tough toilet bowl scrubber. Just leave on overnight and scrub and flush in the morning. You can also add lemon juice to the borax, make a paste, scrub onto toilet bowl (flush first to wet the sides of bowl), let sit for 2 hours and scrub and flush. It is also a great heavy-duty cleaner around the home: into a gallon of warm water, stir one tablespoon of borax and 1 tablespoon of liquid soap (not detergent).

7. Hydrogen Peroxide: Hydrogen peroxide is also good as a disinfectant. Mix half hydrogen peroxide and half water in a spray bottle. Use all around the house. You can also use it on mirrors. I heard it is a good alternative as a gentle bleach and I plan on trying it soon as I do not generally use bleach. I have done a little research that hydrogen peroxide is a great pool cleaner but have not tried that yet, either. I would like to. I guess you can buy it fairly cheap in bulk for that purpose. Hydrogen peroxide has many other helpful uses like: a natural tooth whitener, mouthwash, cleaner for cuts and scrapes, foot fungus inhibitor etc.


*Their are other natural laundry detergent recipes that make a large amount that use borax, washing soda and Fels Naptha soap that others have used. Myra gave me the recipe years ago and Rebecca has made it. I guess I find the borax/baking soda mixture too convenient because I never got around to making this recipe. Anyway, here it is:

4 cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 cup washing soda (washing soda is less refined then baking soda, making it more caustic, non-edible and less expensive.)
1/2 cup borax

1. Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

2. fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

3. Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use (will gel).

Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled.

Makes 10 gallons.
Top load machines: 5/8 cup per load
Front load: 1/4 cup per load

Happy cleaning! (If there is such a thing!) If you have any other natural cleaning ideas just send us all a little note. It is nice to get all the ideas we can get, especially if it makes our house healthier and safer!



2 comments:

Storm. Heather said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your "natural" household cleaning suggestions! It's totally congruent with everything I am striving for! Thank you for continuing to share your heart! You are so amazing dear cousin!
xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxo
With Love from above,
Heather

Unknown said...

You are so sweet, Heather! I am so glad that you enjoy my little tips! I love facts myself and always love to hear about new ideas. Sometimes I try them right away and sometimes I file them away. Of course, it is always best to try things right away because otherwise it is too easy to forget that one great idea!
Love you, too!
Laura