Friday, August 21, 2009

Golf, Yoga, Thrift Stores and Pride and Prejudice In Traverse City

Lenny and I were lucky enough to go with our 2 older daughters to their annual varsity high school golf tournament in beautiful Traverse City, Michigan. We arrived on Tuesday evening and I talked the team into doing yoga with me on the beach. We focused on breathing, relaxing, strengthening the spine and stretching. They had a big 2-day tournament starting the next morning and I wanted to help them relax. So, this is the scene: 8:25 pm-the sun is setting over Big Traverse Bay (gorgeous, of course). Seven teenage girls and I waltz over to the nearest beach access and politely get "kicked off" by the private condo-owners. We had to walk a block down to the boat rental area and found a tiny bit of sand to have our 'class'. The sand was cool and we enjoyed a short yoga class making use of our 'sunset salutation' while the real sun was sinking into the water. Ahh, the simple pleasures of life. We are so blessed!


Golfing on Wednesday: Girls at the course at 7 am. Gorgeous morning. Lenny and the coach are at the Coach's meeting and the girls are at the driving range feeling pretty nervous. I remind them to practice their deep breathing. It is amazing how well these girls can hit the ball. I am impressed! I don't say much else as I am not an expert. There are over 30 teams at this tournament and the place is full of color coordinating teams of very serious golfers. It's a wonderful experience for both the girls and the spectators (we get to walk the course with them). Eight hours later, it's over for the day. Ups and downs, smiles and tears-it's very emotional. Tomorrow is another day. Time for a quick nap back at the hotel, dinner with the team, the girls go to the range again and then play putt-putt. They are golfers, what can I say? I am back in the hotel room and I find Pride and Prejudice on the television! I am so excited! It is so Romantic! Absolutely, one of the BEST books I have ever read! Lenny comes in after bringing the girls to the range and I say, "Quiet! It's Pride and Prejudice!" He says, "Oh great! I suppose you want me to start dressing like those guys now!" I say, "It would be nice and you can start talking like them, too." He rolls his eyes and acts like he's not interested. Karissa and Brooke come into our room after putt-putt and I give them both a short session of reflexology. Their feet are sore from golfing all day and from all the emotions of a tough, mental game. I feel very lucky to be able to have this time with them. They watch a little of Pride and Prejudice with me. Lenny is making fun and trying to act like he knows what is going on. I say, "Shhhh, this is the part where Mr. Darcy comes out of the mist to find Elizabeth!" It is SO ROMANTIC! The girls go to bed and Pride and Prejudice ends, very romantically I might add! Ahhh, life is good! Tomorrow is another day!

This post will continue tomorrow! Until then.....

No comments: