Friday, August 14, 2009

Whole-Grain No Bake Granola Bars

My oven is out of order, so I looked for a no-bake granola bar recipe. I found this one at recipezaar.com. Everyone loved it and I love it because it has good ingredients. I send them with my loved ones to sporting events, practices and endless rounds of golf.

20 min prep
Serves 24

2 cups puffed brown rice cereal (unsweetened-Wal*Mart had them for $1.00 a bag)
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped (*I use raw and grind them in my coffee grinder)
1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds (raw, again, for me)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (*I didn't have any, so I used ground flaxseed)
1/2 cup dried fruit, chopped
1/2 cup peanut butter (*I used 3/4 c. because I didn't feel that the bars held as well together with just a 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup brown rice syrup or honey (*increase to 3/4 c. & I sometimes use a small amount of blackstrap molasses to make up the 3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

1. Combine cereal, oats, nuts, seeds, coconut and fruit in a large mixing bowl.
2. Heat the peanut butter, syrup, and vanilla in a small sauce pan until warm. Do not boil.
3. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal mixture. Mix well while syrup is still warm. I use my hands.
4. Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan lined with waxed paper, or lightly sprayed with oil.
5. Pack the mixture down firmly with moist fingers or the bottom of another 9x13 pan sprayed with cooking spray.
6. The chocolate lover should sprinkle on the chocolate chips at this point and press them in firmly. (for less chance of melting during sporting events, mix choc. in with dry ingredients)
7. Cover with plastic wrap
8. Cool completely
9. Cut into 24 bars
10. Wrap individually with plastic wrap and store in fridge.

I hope you like them as much as we did!

*Also, look for another granola bar recipe that our kids say taste like Clif Bars! (They do!) I will post them another time! Enjoy the happiness that comes with wholesome cooking!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Laura,
I love your blog...I came over from Sharyn's blog.
Jim grinds his own wheat and oats...Do you think I can use those oats for this recipe?

Judy

Unknown said...

Hi Judy,
Thank you for your interest! I think the ground oats would work very well. I always grind my nuts and seeds to a powder (with a few chunks) and it turns out great! The other granola recipe calls for some oat flour and that one turns out great, too! You may have to add a little more ground oats than what the recipe calls for. Good luck! I know they will turn out great!