Saturday, August 22, 2009

Golf, Yoga, Thrift Stores and Pride and Prejudice in Traverse City-Part 2

We awake to rain on Thursday morning. Not the best day to walk the golf course. Oh well, I guess I have to check out the thrift stores. The hotel has a special brochure just on the thrift stores in the area! We go to the course to drop off the bags and the lunches (I brought the Whole-Grain, No-Bake Granola Bars and everyone LOVED them-see earlier post!), I wish the girls good luck, remind them of their deep-breathing (which they said DID help) and head out to the first thrift store on the map. Ahh, this is THE life!!! I'm tellling you, it doesn't take much to make me happy! I spy The Salvation Army, which wasn't even on the map! My absolute favorite store! I find some fun linens for sewing, 2 cute containers for my little girls 'school box', a book and cassette course on real estate with no money down ($4-I contemplated this one for a few minutes and I decided it was worth it. I had read recently that the author was an expert in the field and the way the economy is, I realize a person cannot rely on one job as a career anymore (Lenny has been laid off for 6 weeks now) and I am interested in finding other ways to become financially free. If nothing else, I can educate myself and my family on the subject if we want to. What else did I find? Oh yes, the books! I LOVE books! Mostly non-fiction and classics. I was hoping to find Jane Eyre, the classic by Charlotte Bronte, but no luck! I did find a finance book that has been on my list for awhile! I am so excited! I always find what I need at Salvation Army! I'm happy and I know the money goes to a good cause. Win-win!

I stop at 2 other thrift stores and find some great educational games for $1-$2 a piece, a few more linens, a cheap purse with a cool handle and 2 woven belts that my oldest daughter can use for her own purse creations. I am happy!

Lenny texts me and says the girls are golfing great so I eat my lunch that I packed and head over to the golf course. It is still raining but I love to walk the course and watch our girls golf! With a big family, I realize how special it is to be able to spend this time with our teenage girls. They are growing up way too fast! It is one thing I pray for, to be able to spend individual time with each child! God provides! The girls finish up and we head home. As we are driving home, I say to Lenny, "I was thinking of you today." His eyes light up. I tell him it is not in a sexy way, but in a romantic way. He says, "Oh, you mean in a Pride and Prejudice way?" And I say, "Yes, in a Pride and Prejudice way." He smiles, I smile. We had a wonderful time in Traverse City.

No comments: